Tuesday 17 July 2012

Is Salad Fun?

Read that header? "Is salad fun?"
For the most part, that's a resounding "NO!"
Seriously... and I'm a vegetarian who LOVES tomatoes. BUT, salad can be pretty boring. Chicory and asparagus... apples and celery - it can all bolster the everyday mundane salad but after a few days of munching, it's all a bit samey-samey. Except for fruit salad. There's the exception to the rule :)
I digress...
Salad is boring. At first, it's all crunchy-scrummy with light, low-calorie dressings and heaps of black pepper (I'm a pepper freak!). After a week of the crunchiness, it's not so yummy, and you're screaming out for a big dollop of chocolate cream cake that would feed a family of ten.
Ooh... chocolate cream cake....

Sorry - sidetracked again. Let me wipe the drool off my chin and I'll get back on track...

Where was I? Oh, yes... not-so-scrummy salad. After a week, you need variation - something that quells the desire to scream every time you see a lettuce leaf. My option at the moment...? Soup. Homemade, curried carrot soup. Thick, warming... enough chillies to start a fire two hours later in the toilet!  And it's so filling!
Anyone on Slimming World (SW)... ignore this - you can't have soup as a 'free'. Nah-nah-nah-nahnah. Sorry - I've had a bad experience with SW - after losing between 8 and 5 pounds every week for the seven weeks I attended, my weight loss dropped to - wait for this shocker - only 4 and a half pounds one week! The group leader said that I must be "... so disappointed with only four and a half pounds". What?! That's a pretty darn good weight loss for one week! Nobody else in the group did any better! I was ashamed, beaten... defeated. I went home and never returned. I didn't pay £6 a week to be humiliated.  I got so depressed, I spent the following weeks' £6 on chocolate and cake, stayed at home and munched guiltily away whilst watching a movie. It was bliss for a few weeks - and then I hid the scales and became lost in denial.

So... mix it up a bit - don't snack on a salad every day - add something different. Stew, soup... poached eggs ... anything (within diet-reason). AND add a bit of spice to your life by adding spice to your meals.
Probably best not to go overboard with the chillies like me though... especially if you share a bathroom at home.


1 comment:

  1. You are HILARIOUS! I found you through another blog and have now read all your posts. Keep it up, I have maintained my loss for many years, but I have to stay on the scale to keep it off. And I have learned to love salads!

    --Dana

    ReplyDelete